Category: Community

Bridge Funding Proposal

Bridge Funding Proposal

The following is a letter I sent to Clinton County and Essex County Yesterday.

Here is a proposal on how we can work together to save the bridges in Keeseville.   Clinton and Essex county can work together with their grant writing teams to submit grants for Preserve NY, RAISE, and/or Northern Border Regional Commission State Economic & Infrastructure Development Investment Program FY2022.  You will have a stronger grant application if both counties work together.  

The USDOT recommends bundling of Bridges when applying for grants to reduce overall project costs.  The RAISE grant has a $25 Million grant ceiling and a total of $1 Billion in funding.  We don’t need nearly that much to accomplish what we are asking.  We could focus on ONE bridge, or bundle the bridges together as USDOT requests.  The ONE bridge we would focus on is the Upper Bridge first.

THEN, We have a non profit lined up ready to start fundraising in the community to offset as much of the remaining 20% of each project as we can.  A lot of people have expressed interest in donating to help, but we can’t until the counties both see preservation as a good thing, and work with us.  We can fundraise enough to make an impact, and lessen the burden on each county.  The Town of Chesterfield and town of Ausable MAY also be able to help in some small way as well.  We can do this together.  

The Grant deadline for RISE is July 12th.  Other deadlines are approaching here as well.  As much as a pain as I am being, I am really here to help you in any way possible and do something great for my community.  We have a chance here, and it is my goal to make you all the heroes in this project.  

The only way we can make this happen is if the Counties VOTE for preservation and then restoration.  Let’s get the county grant writing teams on board as well.

Peter Melewski (Former NYS Thruway Authority Head) is the lead author for the bridge section of the 2022 American Society of Civil Engineers NYS Infrastructure Report Card.  He is confirming that Historical Bridges are to be focused on.  

We have a chance to do something really special here.  Art Suckewer of Wrought Iron Bridge works, and other companies such as VS Engineering or Bach Steel can be valuable resources IF you reach out to them.   If Art’s company is selected during the bidding process, he could use the Upper Bridge as a demonstration of his companies ability to do the other two.  

Let’s Preserve History, right a wrong from over a decade ago, and Make History by voting for preservation and restoration of these bridges.  I’m also reminding you of my invite to walk together and tour the bridges.   Timing is critical, and we need to act together.  

Thank you for your time,
Matt

Perfect day to write a letter!

Perfect day to write a letter!

MAY 23, 2021 — 

HELP US SAVE KEESEVILLE’S HISTORIC BRIDGES:
Today is the perfect day to spend five minutes and write a letter of support for us! We are in the midst of many grants that we could be applying for.

Please write an email today to our representatives, letting them know that they have the power to do the right thing. Preserve History, right a wrong, and make history by choosing to save historical bridges. They could be the heroes in saving our bridges.

Copy and Paste the following addresses One at a time into one single email. It only takes a minute and we appreciate it!Please be POSITIVE and respectful. Thank you!

Essex County Board of Supervisors
townofchesterfield@gmail.com
supervisor@townofcrownpointny.gov
etown@etownny.com
supervisor@townofessexny.gov
supervisor@townofjayny.gov
supervisor1@townofkeeneny.gov
supervisor@lewistownhall.com
supervisor@townofminervany.gov
supervisor@townofmoriahny.gov
supervisor@newcombny.com
super@northelba.org
supervisor@townofnorthhudsonny.gov
davinastarmand@gmail.com
supervisor@schroon.net
supervisor@townofticonderoga.org
supervisor@westportny.net
supervisor@townofwillsborony.gov
townsupervisor@townofwilmington.org

Clinton County Legislature
hometowncable@yahoo.com
fvperyea@yahoo.com
mark.henry@clintoncountygov.com
rick.potiker@clintoncountygov.com
conroy.simon@gmail.com
KoffeeKat13@live.com
rob.timmons@clintoncountygov.com
wendellhughes.area8@aol.com
hall469@charter.net
joshua.kretser@clintoncountygov.com

Clinton County Highway Supervisor
Karl.Weiss@clintoncountygov.com

Essex County Superintendent of Public Works
james.dougan@essexcountyny.gov

Town of Ausable Supervisor
s.senecal@townofausable.net

Save Keeseville Historic Bridges
keesevillehistoricbridges@gmail.com

Write Letters – Swing Bridge Update

Write Letters – Swing Bridge Update

MAY 22, 2021 — 

Keep writing letters to both Clinton County and Essex County Officials….It’s THAT important!

When we started our campaign July 22nd 2020, one of the very first things we brought up was the trees growing over the swing bridge and the potential for damage. The Essex County side of the river was quickly cleaned up and it LOOKS fantastic!

A few weeks later we took a walk with two Clinton County officials and they also mentioned that these trees were hazardous to the bridge, and that there were drainage issues, and issues with leaves and other debris that were building up in places that shouldn’t be. They did fix one large sink hole on the approach to the bridge (thank you), but the trees have not been addressed yet. I learned a few months back that The town of Ausable has requested to Clinton County many times that these trees be removed to prevent any potential being done to the bridge.

It would take a few hours of work (maybe a day) to remove the large branch, and removing a few other trees would open up the view of this bridge making it once again a highlight for the town. Because the bridge is on the Clinton County Inventory, the only group allowed to do the work is those in the highway department for Clinton County.

Even a little TLC would be a great start to the summer here for our bridges. Let’s hope it gets done soon. I’d happy show pictures when it is finished and give credit to those who did the work!